Consecrated and opened on 6 October 1842, this 123 feet long stone church could seat 344 in its gallery and 616 in "neat open seats" in the nave.

Designed by the architect Henry Isaac Stevens, the architectural style is Early English. With a high pitched roof there is a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles to north and south, vestry and a large west end pinnacled tower with a clock and bell.

The interior of the church has changed considerably since it was built, as there have been restorations and additions at various times.

As well as the richly carved mid-12th century font from the old Lenton Priory, Holy Trinity is also noteable for:

  • The beautiful and unique east window, which commemorates Holy Trinity’s founder, Francis Wright
  • The Boer War windows, established as a memorial that would speak ‘to the hearts of all’
  • Memorials and family links to Nottingham’s WW1 flying ace, Albert Ball, nursing heroine Dorothea Crewdson, and prominent Nottingham suffragette Helen Watts


For several years after the erection of the Church the east end of the Chancel was partitioned off and used as a vestry, but in 1862 the partition was removed and a vestry was built on the south side of the Chancel. This alteration brought to view the reredos, erected in 1858 at a cost of £43. Executed in Ancaster stone, it bore the Lord's prayer and Creed in gold upon panels of glass; the Agnus Dei being carved in the middle.

The present reredos in the church was given by W.G. Player Esquire in 1911. It is executed in mosaic work and green and gold glazed tiles, and bears the figure of Christ, surroinded by four angels and holding the chalice with the Cross in the background.

The reredos is surrounded by a marble border on which runs the text from the communion cervice "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous, and He is the Propitiation for our Sins?"

Chancel, taken 2017
Previous reredos, taken about 1880
Reredos, taken 2017
Reredos detail

Memorial windows

All the windows of Holy Trinity were initially glazed with plain glass. It was only gradually over a period of some sixty years that the church gained its collection of stained glass memorials.

  1. Francis Wright (died 1873), East window
  2. Henry Kirk (died 1911)
  3. Boer War window, unveiled 1901
  4. Lady Harriett Mary Ball (died 1931)
  5. Lois Ball (1913)
  6. Thomas Adams (died 1873)
  7. William Rastall Brewill & Ann Brewill
  8. Thomas Adams (died 1873), 'Timothy Window'
1. East window. Dedicated to Francis Wright, church founder and benefactor, who died in 1873. It is decorated with a profusion of flowers and fruit.
2. Dedicated by his sister Mrs. Anne Carver to Henry Kirk (died 1911). He was a lace manufacturer with premises in St. Mary's Gate, who lived at 'The Oaks' on Broadgate in Beeston. He is buried in Lenton churchyard and left £500 to the Church schools. The window contains four pictures - representations of the Good Shepherd, the Good Samaritan, the Talents and St. Lawrence bearing the grid-iron, the instrument of his torture.
3. Boer War window. Erected by public subscription from the inhabitants of Lenton in honour of the 63 men who went from Lenton, and seven of that number who gave their lives in the South African campaign. Unveiled on November 7th 1901, by Earl Roberts V.C., Commander-in-Chief, British Army. The subjects depicted are: The Soldier going forth to battle; The Soldier on the Watch; The Soldier in battle; and The Soldier's return.
4. Dedicated by Albert Ball senior to Lady Harriett Mary Ball (died 1931), wife of Sir Albert Ball J.P. Lady Ball is buried in the family vault which is at the foot of the tower.
5. Dedicated by Albert Ball senior to his mother Lois Ball who died in 1913. The four subjects are the Annunciation; the birth of Christ; the boy Jesus in the temple; and the turning of water into wine at the wedding at Cana.
6. Dedicated to Thomas Adams who died in 1873. He lived at Lenton Firs (now part of the University of Nottingham) and ran one of the leading lace manufacturing businesses in Nottingham. It depicts scenes taken from four of Jesus's parables.
7. Dedicated in 1902 by Mrs. Mary Ann Sharp to her parents William Rastall Brewill & Ann Brewill. William had been a butcher in Nottingham after starting in business in a shop in New Lenton, one of his sons was A.W. Brewill who later designed the Albert Ball Memorial Homes.
8. This small window is also dedicated to Thomas Adams. Known as the 'Timothy Window', it contains a portrayal of a Tomothy as a young boy being instructed in the scriptures by his mother

Memorials and Tablets

1. George Browne (1886; former vicar)
2. Elizabeth Anne Browne (1870; wife of George Browne)
3. Francis Browne (1879)
4. Browne children (William John (1858), Edward (1842), James Peter (1844), Denis George(1848))
5. Joseph & Ann Fenton (1853)
6. Albert Ball (1917)
7. Alice Stickley Linsley (1920)
8. Gwendoleyn Hollick (1904)
9. Thomas (1873) & Lucy (1874) Adams
10. James Harvey (1910)
11. Rainald JR Skipper (1954; former vicar)
12. Hilda Dorothy Price (1913; daughter of Frederick Wright)
13. Frederick Wright (1916) & his wife Ada Joyce (1920)
14. John (1840) & Elizabeth (1833) Wright & children
15. Lesley Stanley (1903)
16. Annie Mary Bradley Bayley (1904)
17. Henry Crewdson (1924) & his wife Margaret Croom (1926)
18. Dorothea Crewdson (1919)