Consecrated and opened on 6 October 1842, this 123 feet long stone church could seat 344 in its gallery and 616 in "neat open seats" in the nave.

Designed by the architect Henry Isaac Stevens, the architectural style is Early English. With a high pitched roof there is a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles to north and south, vestry and a large west end pinnacled tower with a clock and bell.

The interior of the church has changed considerably since it was built, as there have been restorations and additions at various times.

  • Photo of Francis Wright

    1841 First stone laid

    On 11th June the first stone was officially laid by Francis Wright. He donated both the land and half the building costs.

    More about Francis Wright

  • 1842 Opening and consecration

    On 6 October the building was consecrated by the Right Reverend John Jackson, the Lord Bishop of Lincoln.

  • 1842 George Browne became vicar

    Reverend George Browne, who had been in the parish for a year as curate, became the first vicar (1840 - 1886).

  • 1847 First organ installed

    Organ installed in gallery.

  • 1856 Additional bells installed

    Five additional bells added were added to the single existing bell. These were donated by John Shaw, one of the Churchwardens.

  • 1858 Reredros erected

    A reredros was erected at cost of £43. Executed in Ancaster stone, it bore the Lord's prayer and Creed in gold upon panels of glass; the Agnus Dei being carved in the middle. It can be seen in the photo below but was replaced in 1911.

  • 1862 Chancel partition removed

    The east end of the chancel was partitioned off and used as a vestry, the partition was removed, bringing the reredros into view, and the vestry built on the south side of the chancel.

  • 1865 Photo of interior

    Note that the 1858 reredros (now replaced) and earlier pulpit (on the south side) are still in place.

    View photo

  • 1870 Organ moved

    The organ was removed from the gallery and installed in a purpose-built extension situated to the north of the chancel. The choir stalls were also removed from the gallery and erected in the chancel.

  • 1873 East window installed

    Dedicated to Francis Wright, church founder and benefactor, who died in 1873. It is decorated with a profusion of flowers and fruit.

    View photo

  • 1873 Thomas Adams memorial window

    Memorial window dedicated to Thomas Adams (died 1873) was installed in the south aisle. He lived at Lenton Firs (now part of the University of Nottingham) and ran one of the leading lace manufacturing businesses in Nottingham.

    View photo

  • 1882 New pulpit installed

    The original pulpit was very high - a "double decker" with a reading desk undeneath. This was removed in 1882 and replaced by an ironwork pulpit which was itself replaced in 1894.

  • 1880s Photo of interior

    Note that the previous reredros can be seen and the pulpit is on the north (right hand) side.

    View photo

  • 1886 Mission

    There were multiple mission services every day from 20th-30th November. Plus both Holy Trinity and the Priory churches were open from sunrise to sunset for private prayer.

    View mission leaflet

  • 1886 Percy Smith became vicar

    Reverend Percy Edward Smith, a former curate, became the new vicar (1886 - 1893).

  • 1888 Heating appeal

    The church was originally illuminated by gas lighting and heated by coal stoves, one at each end of the Nave. An appeal was held to raise £500 to install a new coke fueled heating system, clean the windows, provide proper ventilation, lengthen the pews, supply kneelers where required, repair the bell-frame and clean the church.

  • 1893 Allan Watts became vicar

    The Reverend Allan Hunter Watts became the new vicar (1893 - 1917).

  • 1894 Church reopened

    On the 5th April the church was reopened following redecoratation and alterations to the gallery, allowing for seating of 214, a reduction on the original 344. The preacher was the Bishop of Southwell, Reverend George Riddings, and an organ recital was given by Dr. Belcher.

  • 1894 New pulpit installed

    The ironwork pulpit, on the couth of the chancel, was sold to All Souls Church, Radford, and the present one was erected, on the north side. This new pulpit had no panels but the ones that can be seen today were added later.

  • 1894 Interior photo

    Note that the previous reredros seems to be concealed by fabric.

    View photo

  • 1901 Boer War memorial window

    Erected by public subscription from the inhabitants of Lenton in honour of the 63 men who went from Lenton, and seven of that number who gave their lives in the South African campaign. Unveiled on November 7th 1901, by Earl Roberts V.C., Commander-in-Chief, British Army.

    View photo

  • 1902 Brewill memorial window

    Dedicated in 1902 by Mrs. Mary Ann Sharp to her parents William Rastall Brewill & Ann Brewill. William had been a butcher in Nottingham after starting in business in a shop in New Lenton, one of his sons was A.W. Brewill who later designed the Albert Ball Memorial Homes.

    View photo

  • 1902 Two additional bells installed

    Two more bells, donated by the brothers Frederick and Albert Ball, were added in 1902. The whole set of eight was re-hung, by public subscription, to celebrate the Coronation of King Edward VII.

  • 1906 Organ replaced

    The organ was replaced with a new two-manual instrument containing 26 stops, built by Brindley & Foster.The new organ was the generous gift of W.G. Player Esquire.

  • 1911 New reredos erected

    Present reredos in the church erected, gift of W.G. Player.

    View photo

  • 1911 New choir stalls installed

    New choir and clergy stalls installed, a gift of Mr. Henry Crewdson.

  • 1911 Henry Kirk memorial window

    Dedicated by his sister Mrs. Anne Carver to Henry Kirk (died 1911). He was a lace manufacturer with premises in St. Mary's Gate, who lived at 'The Oaks' on Broadgate in Beeston. He is buried in Lenton churchyard and left £500 to the Church schools.

    View photo

  • 1913 Lois Ball memorial window

    Dedicated by Albert Ball senior to his mother Lois Ball who died in 1913.

    View photo

  • 1917 Felix Asher became vicar

    Reverend Felix Asher became vicar (1917 - 1922).

  • 1922 W. Aden Wright became vicar

    Reverend W. Aden Wright became vicar (1922 - 1928).

  • 1922 Lighting by electricity

    Lighting by electricity was first installed.

  • 1929 Rainald J.R. Skipper became vicar

    Reverend Rainald J.R. Skipper became vicar (1929 - 1954)

  • 1931 Rood screen installed

    The carved wooden rood screen, another gift of Mr W.G. Player, was erected.

  • 1931 Lady Ball memorial window

    Dedicated by Albert Ball senior to Lady Harriett Mary Ball (died 1931), wife of Sir Albert Ball J.P. Lady Ball is buried in the family vault which is at the foot of the tower.

  • 1941? Air raid

    Church hit in air raid, bomb ends up near pulpit.

  • G. Hill became vicar

    The Reverend G. Hill became vicar. he was vicar of Lenton for only a very short period - killed while cycling to visit the sick at Nottingham Hospital.

  • 1957 R.P. Neil became vicar

    Reverend R.P. Neil became vicar (1957 - 1962)

  • 1963 L.L. Abbott became vicar

    Reverend L.L. Abbott became vicar (1963 - 1967)

  • 1967 R.G. Dunford became vicar

    Reverend R.G. Dunford became vicar (1967 - 1980)

  • 1970s Interior photo

  • 1974 Holy Table

    A new japanese oak plain wood Holy Table, created by the students of Basford College, was given as a memorial to Donald F. Wood, a former churchwarden.

  • 1981 David Williams became vicar

    Reverend David Williams became vicar (1981 - 1987)

  • 1981 Dry rot found in roof

    Dry rot was discovered in some of the main roof timbers, £35,000 was required for repairs.

  • We will be adding more events to the timeline to bring it upto 2016 and the reopening after the latest round of roof repairs.